Thursday 12 August 2010

Day 11 - Châteauneuf-du-Pape and then to Montélimar

Thursday dawned for the first time with a little cloud..... The sun and heat didn't arrive till at least 9.30 instead of the usual 8am! But it did arrive, so after a little breakfast, I bade farewell to the Burton Cabanon and drove a little back on myself, south-west to Châteauneuf-du-Pape..... I just couldn't leave the Southern Rhône without visiting this renowned village, the Butlins of the papal world in days gone by.......

The village is dominated by the Château sitting at the highest point.




















And once again, I was afforded incredible views over the Rhône valley and then back across to Mont Ventoux.



Back to Mont Ventoux

 Today I decided to venture into one of the many caves in the village to taste some wine and was drawn to one called 'Lartizan'. It kept wines produced by the Domaine de la Roncière. I only tried two of their wines, but my, what a treat:
  1. Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve Senior 2007 (Rouge) - this was a Grenache/Syrah blend (80/20) aged in oak which was quite light, but very fruity, a little jammy and strangely chocolatey. Very easily drunk now, but I was reliably informed it could be kept for up to another 15 years;
  2. Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Jacquerie 2006 (Rouge) - this was a more robust wine, although it was a 50/50 Grenache/Syrah blend, which had been aged in new wood for 18 months. It was definitely more tannic, but the wine maker had integrated all the elements of this wine so carefully, that instead it was a wine of finesse, not at all bulky. The rich red fruits were also in evidence here. Oh, and only 1300 bottles were produced, each numbered and advised to be kept for up to 30 years and/or a ver special occasion!
As I left the village, travelling north, I passed one of the old gates to the Château..... and then stopped by the vines to take a picture of the famous pudding stones - these ensure the vines are kept warm and cosy at night.





























    North again through Orange and onto Montélimar, famous for its nougat. I stopped briefly just near the Office de Tourism, which in my humble opinion is the nicest part of the city - the outskirts are a bit scruffy; it's only in the centre and old town that you experience the now expected charm and beauty. I stopped off to sample some delicious nougat and to climb up to the top of the city which afforded beautiful views one way.......




    and an enormous power station the other..... Welcome to Industrial France!









    Tonight I'm just staying in a very basic motel - this is a chain and given that, very often I will literally just be putting my head down in these places, it's all I need.  It'll also give me a chance to get rid of the greys peaking through..... a bit of TLC tonight for the hair..... I'll be years younger by morning! :-)

    1 comment:

    1. You have a good eye for composition re: photos. All that talk from your Dad on composition.

      ReplyDelete