Sunday 15 August 2010

Day 14 - Il pleut

Well, it's been a full 2 weeks now..... and yet, I'm not coming home.... It's starting to dawn on me that my departure from work is a permanent thing.
Today started overcast again and I walked from the hotel into the village to go to church. Today is the feast of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary into heaven.... As a prod, we don't put much store in this festival, but I have to confess to enjoying listening to the Magnificat being read, even in French and marvelling at the faith of this young woman who was chosen by God to carry and bear his son.
As soon as I left the church, I began my drive to Villefranche-sur-Saône. I must admit to a little trepidation, as by the time I emerged from the village church, the rain had already started, which meant for the first time, I was driving the car with the hood up..... And the visibility down! Coupled with the greasy road conditions which accompany the first rain after a hot spell, the use of the Autoroute and a journey through Lyon were more than enough cause for caution.
But, I'm Irish....... Driving through rain is second nature - I took it slow and even the traffic jams in the centre of Lyon didn't deter me...... and made it safely to Villefranche in one piece.
I decided to venture out for dinner and ended up chatting to a very lovely English gentleman who was over in Lyon for work (why couldn't I get a job like that!) and have just returned from an Irish pub (it would be rude not to!) for a night-cap.
Tomorrow I do Beaujolais, as the Americans would say....... or take a journey through the vineyards of the Beaujolais villages, which sounds a bit better.
Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment