Saturday 7 August 2010

Day 5 - North to Ventoux

I waved goodbye or au revoir to M. and Mme. Richard, the proprietaires of my home for the last 4 nights, and travelled north to rendez-vous with Margaret Burton and her hubby Alistair in their cabanon just outside Buis-les-Baronnies.



This was my first experience of the autoroute and while impressed by the lack of traffic on a three lane motorway – nothing like the M25 – I have to confess an open car and speed don’t go – It was only 50km, but I was glad to leave and get back onto the D roads....... And what a treat, winding roads into the mountains; again, beautiful scenery, though different this time. While the Luberon was distinctly Tuscan, the landscape around Mont Ventoux reminded me of Ireland, except with sun or, I’m reliably informed by Alistair, like Scotland...... except with sun!
The view to Mont Ventoux from Chez Burton


I arrived just in time for lunch and then we took a cycle around the immediate area...... I was feeling a little guilty having spent the last few days driving.... and yes walking, but no proper exercise to speak of, so a cycle seemed just the ticket..... 40 – 45 km later, my backside was not agreeing! The thighs felt well exercised, but my decision not to accept padded shorts due to my own natural padding was a mistake!


Nevertheless, aside from my physical shortcomings, what a treat – cycling among the vines, the fruit trees – plums and apricots and also olive groves; neighbouring Nyons is famed for its black olives which I hope to try.


There used to be a railway to Buis, which has now been removed and turned into a cycle track along the river – at one point we stopped to see people on deck chairs in the river, enjoying the sun, tempered by a gentle Mistral. And all the way, the beauty of nature at its best – the sight of the countryside, the sounds of crickets singing all summer long and even the smells of the ‘herbes’ – we were treated to a waft of mint by a tiny herbe with delicate purple flowers..... yes, I could wax lyrical – apologies for boring you, but not even Solomon in all his splendour could match the lilies of the field!


The halfway point of the cycle was Domaine Champ Long which produces two Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée wines: Côtes du Rhône and Ventoux – we each tried a different red, though they produce rosés and whites:


AOC CdR – Terre de Safres 2008, a 50/50 Grenache/Syrah blend – quite a cherry flavoured wine, both red and black and very pleasant indeed;


AOC CdR – La Lauzerette 2007 (winner of a Trophée Vigneron), a 95/5 Grenache/Syrah blend – this had been aged in oak, which gave a delicious vanilla flavour and a slight smokiness to the rounded red fruit flavours;


AOC Ventoux – Les Essareaux 2007 (silver medal winner at Paris), a 20/80 Grenache/Syrah blend (more like the Northern Rhône blends – black fruits – blackberry and blackcurrant, but tinged with sweet spices – a real mouthwatering glass of wine.


So, we headed back to Chez Burton to enjoy some nibbles and a glass as the sun set over Mont Ventoux and then to enjoy the stars – Alistair counted 4 shooting stars, Mags 2 and myself just the one, but maybe I don’t need anymore than 1 as this trip really is turning into a wish come true!


Bon Weekend à tous!

No comments:

Post a Comment