Wednesday 4 August 2010

Day 3 - The Luberon

The Luberon are essentially just a collection of beautiful villages set among the countryside of Provence. Many are atop steep cliffs and as I drove to the first today, Gordes, I was so surprised when I rounded a bend to be greeted by its beauty.  It is one of "the most beautiful villages in France", and a title highly deserved. The pics don't do justice to any of the villages, but hope you like them:

The view that meets you on arrival at Gordes.




I then continued to Roussillon, famed for the yellow, orange, pink and red hues or ochres of its rocks.... again, to be seen to be believed:


I would have liked to have visited more of the Luberon villages; in fact I did try to visit Lacoste, site of the chateau of the Marquis de Sade, the prolific writer with interesting tastes in the bedroom - his chateau has now been renovated by Pierre Cardin and is supposed to be amazing, but alas, the French roadsigns did for me. I managed to get to within 6 km, then 3 km, then 5 km, but never managing to quite make it to the village itself. Eventually the boiling hot sun and the winding roads did for me and I gave up, but it did give me the opportunity to sample some local olive oil - even it is under Appellation Controlee to ensure its quality and smell the lavender, fields and fields of it! I cannot tell you the difference an open car makes to the sights and sounds of a place...... and being open, my appreciation of speed is so acute, that I don't think I've gone over 50 mph!  Though I do look like Bridget Jones after losing her scarf when I arrive back, but hey..... a small price to pay!

1 comment:

  1. Well Zoe glad you enjoyed the Luberon. This is the area I visited 2 years ago. Stunning being very appropriate. You will have to try and make it to Rousillion the home of the lovely Vicky & Paul. If you walk up to the highest point in the village, stunninmg views over the lavender fields and vineyards. You can also see their house from here. I know you like jewellery and their is a shop near the lookout point with "different" pieces made from the ochre rock. God be with you, love you lots.
    Mom xxxxx

    ReplyDelete